The Spanish Caribbean: Criollización

Criollización del Caribe

La Plena and Bamba

(https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZummXOaoXuo/maxresdefault.jpg)

You probably think I'm a music expert by this point, which wouldn't be at all incorrect. I have a really diverse musical taste, whether I'm drowning out mellow melodies or bursting my eardrums with high-pitched sounds. For this reason, I couldn't help but be captivated when I heard Plena, sometimes known as La Plena, play energetic heavy percussion. Naturally, the entrance was finished when my eyes caught sight of the stunning dancers in their vibrant and distinctive attire. We all start eating with our eyes first, albeit I'm not advocating for people to objectify. But let's go back to the topic at hand: this mashup of Puerto Rican and African beats.
`
Plena was a form of communication for the working class in the Caribbean, like most musical traditions. We've all experienced the strain and difficulties that a job may bring. Don't think I've ever developed my own vivid style from it, though I should have. Plena, of course, also evolved into a platform for political reforms that didn't serve the general welfare. Which is a great way to politely disagree with others, now that I think about it. Oh, I guess I should give musical creolization another shot after all. I don't think my boss would like the lyrics I sing though.


Popurri

Of course, a music video is necessary. These opulent sounds simply won't stay inside of me. I, therefore, take the time to share it with you, the viewers, readers, and people who in many ways are responsible for the success of my site. But the video above is actually a fantastic introduction to La Plena, aside from me playing the famed Joe from the lovely twisty Netflix-exclusive series "You." There are other instruments in use, including the hand drums Panderatus, Güiros, and some maracas, which I can partially see but not all. Fortunately, my poor vision had no impact on my understanding of the young melodies used in Popurri's performance of the song. Go for a replay without a doubt. Certainly, I did.

Arroz Con Gandules

(http://www.cookitgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Arroz-con-gandules-2.jpg)

As always, food serves as our external example. What could be better than being lost in the illusion of delectable traditional food, after all? In this instance, the main course is Arroz Con Gandules, a Puerto Rican dish that strongly reminds me of Bahamian food. It would be wrong to suggest that Arroz is nothing more than rice. It wouldn't be totally accurate to compare it to rice mixtures, such as the several varieties of Asian Fried Rice. Of course, there will be a breakdown of the ingredients and a video on how to make it later. But for the time being, let's just awe at this magnificent dish. You'll probably be hungry after seeing this, so let's see how this food is prepared.

Arroz Con Gandules

There is a pretty fast and to-the-point "Tasty" film that shows the making of the day's creolized dish with all the components identified. But I thought it would be best to pick a longer video where the person explains each step for the sake of tradition. I didn't see it altogether because I should have been finishing my blog instead of preparing the meal. But it's obvious from the comments and the first 10 minutes that Chef Carmen Felix is an expert. Of course, you're not required to follow the directions. You can definitely reinvent it in your own way if you want to. Enjoy it, whatever it may be. 








Comments